Universal Sign Systems

Tel: 616.554.9999 | Email: info@universalsignsystems.com 


5001 Falcon View SE, Grand Rapids MI 49512

Being green is more than simply promoting environmental sustainability; it’s how we do business. It’s how we are committed to improving our product designs, packaging standards, and facility policies for sustainable, ecological considerations. Our supply chain providers also incorporate Universal Sign Systems sustainable approach toward reducing our carbon footprint.

Our Recycling Initiatives

Our recycling initiatives include recycling salvaged signs. The steel, aluminum and plastic components are separated and then sent to appropriate recyclers for reprocessing.

During product processes when scrap occurs, aluminum flat stock and extrusion scrap is sent to a recycler to be reused in other aluminum base materials.

  • Recycling aluminum uses 95% less energy and produces 95% less greenhouse gas emissions than making metal from new materials.
  • Electrical components are also referred to a recycler for recovery.
  • Our office has established a building wide recycling program for our office paper and paper core products.
  • When appropriate, non-critical printing paper or draft papers are reprocessed as double sided printing sheets.
  • When possible, our supply chain group employs the most efficient, environmentally friendly packaging supplies, cartons and cardboard products.

 

Our Extrusions

  • Our aluminum extrusion and flat stock suppliers use as much recycled products in new production as possible. 
  • Our extrusion supplier guarantees LEED compliance with a minimum of 10% post-consumer recycled material, 60% pre-consumer, with a total recycled content of 70%.

Benefits of our Powder Coating Processes

  • All of our powder coating technology is environmentally friendly and free of toxic waste, with improved corrosion resistance.

LED Retrofits

  • Retrofitting fluorescent lighting is a simple, yet energy efficient way of cutting waste and overall costs.
  • We use LED’s in as many applications as possible as LED lighting uses nearly 50% less energy and lasts 8 to 10 times longer than other lighting sources.

Featured Project

Allen County War Memorial Coliseum

 We recently replaced all the existing signage at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne, IN.  The project consisted of interior projecting and hanging wayfinding signage, exterior illuminated dimensional letters, parking lot directional signage and two 30’ tall illuminated pylon signs.
Read more...